I Hate My Mother-in-Law But My Wife Wants To Invite Her To Live With Us










DEAR DEIDRE: I HATE my mother-in-law but my wife’s talking about inviting her to live with us.

She’s 60 and she’s a witch. She’s always interfered in our lives but this time has pushed me too far.

I’m a guy of 36 and my wife is 34. We’ve two kids aged seven and three and are crowded as it is.

I’ve been ill with the coronavirus and was stuck in bed and felt terrible.

A work colleague tagged me in a Facebook message wishing me well and my mother-in-law replied, making a really crass remark. I was so embarrassed by it.

The thing is my mother-in-law has a drink problem so she was probably drunk when she did it.

I was still trying to calm down when she phoned my wife saying her partner was beating her so could she come and live with us.

Her bloke is a soft, soppy guy. I don’t believe her but my wife is considering letting her come.

DEIDRE SAYS: Tell your wife that you understand she may be worried for her mum, but your family life would be strained to breaking point.

It’s not fair to bring her drink problem into your home around your children and she needs to be assertive with her mum. My e-leaflet Dealing With A Drinker explains.

Appearances can be deceptive. If your mother-in-law is at risk she should contact Refuge’s National Domestic Abuse Helpline (nationaldahelpline.org.uk). 


Credits: The Sun

                Deidre Sanders 

Comments