Court Dissolves 23-year-old Marriage Over Abandonment

A Lagos Island Customary Court on Wednesday dissolved a 23-year-old marriage between one Rashidat Adeyemi and her husband, Olamilekan because he deserted her.
Rashidat, a fashion designer, had told the court that her husband left their matrimonial home since 2012 without any altercation between them and failed to return.
“My husband left the house since 2012 without any misunderstanding between us. When I went to my in-laws, they told me they did not know his whereabouts,” she said.

She told court that all her efforts to know the reason why Olamilekan left their matrimonial home proved abortive.
“I have been solely responsible for the feeding and upkeep of our seven-year-old son since my husband abandoned us.”
She asked the court to dissolve the union, saying that she wanted to move on with her life.
Defending the allegations, Olamilekan, 42, told court that he abandoned his wife because his business was dwindling, instead of progressing while they were together.
“We are not spiritually-compatible, while we were married my business kept going down.
“I could not make ends meet as my booming business had totally crumbled. I could not bear it any longer, I had to leave,’’ he stated.
Olamilekan prayed the court to dissolve their marriage as he was no longer interested in the petitioner.
The President of the Court, Mr Awoshola Awos, subsequently, dissolved the marriage.
“From the totality of the evidence before this court, the court is without doubt that the marriage between the two has broken down beyond redemption.
“Both parties are no longer husband and wife; they are free to go their separate ways.
“I hereby award the custody of their only child to the petitioner as pleaded. The respondent is to pay through the court the sum of N5, 000 monthly as feeding allowance.
“He will also be responsible for payment of their son’s school fees and medical bills and is granted free access to the child,” Awos ruled.
Rashidat, 40, had on Aug. 15, 2015 filed a suit seeking dissolution of the marriage, contracted 23 years ago on the ground that the man deserted her and their only child. (NAN)

Comments