I Can’t Live With My Husband’s Cocaine Habit and Debts But He Threatens Suicide


DEAR DEIDRE: A YEAR ago, I found out my husband was thousands of pounds in debt due to his cocaine habit.
I am 29 and he’s 31. We’d been married for five years and life seemed good. But I discovered he was taking cocaine just to get through the day. He owed £12,000.
I have a good job and paid off most of the debt on the condition he stops doing drugs. He seems fine for a couple of weeks – but then it all goes bad again.

He says he is depressed and that it’s my fault. He snaps at me constantly and we argue all the time.
He hasn’t been violent towards me but he punches the furniture and the walls.
I want to leave but he threatens suicide if I try. I can’t go on living like this.

DEIDRE SAYS: No, you can’t. You have done all you can but your husband must take responsibility for his addiction. You cannot solve this for him.
He needs expert help and should talk to the FRANK drugs information service (talktofrank.com) and CALM, which helps depressed and suicidal people (thecalmzone.net).

Credits:  The Sun
Deidre Sanders

Comments