My parents won’t accept my girlfriend as she is 12 years older with two kids


DEAR DEIDRE: I INTRODUCED the woman I love to my parents but they won’t accept her because she is older than me and divorced with two kids.
I am 30, she is 42. I love her and the sex is amazing. Her husband walked out when their youngest was born and she’s coped alone ever since.
My mother says I shouldn’t get involved with someone who has baggage. She says I’d be taking on a lot of trouble and should find someone who is free.

I love this woman and am becoming increasingly fond of her children – a boy and a girl. But I don’t like to alienate my family either.

DEIDRE SAYS: You are very much an adult and it is not your parents’ place to select your life partner for you. You know you won’t have a totally carefree life with this girlfriend.
You will be taking on a lot of responsibility and will have to fit in with her life, as will she with yours.
If you love one another and want to be together, you can make it work.
Tell your parents this firmly and without sounding apologetic. If they have any sense, they should come to accept your decision.

Credits: Deidre Sanders
The Sun

Comments