My Husband is Threatening Divorce If I Don’t Stop Drinking, But I Just Can’t Stop


DEAR DEIDRE: IF I don’t stop my drinking my husband has told me our marriage is over. I used to be in the pub trade.
I am 37 and my husband is 39. We have been married for six years and have a little girl together.
Our social scene has always been based around alcohol. I used it to celebrate and to help when things were bad. Nobody ever questioned it until now.

I’ve struggled with depression but last year I was told my sight was in danger due to diabetes. It put a strain on our relationship and, as always when things are bad, I’ve been drinking heavily. I can’t stop.

DEIDRE SAYS: Admitting you have a problem is a step in the right direction, so well done.  Now seek help.
There is probably a load of history that you drink to hide from, as well as the depression and health issues for which you are self-medicating.
Start with your GP. My e-leaflet Drink Problem explains other sources of help, and check out soberistas.com, a non-judgmental community of people – mainly women – who are going sober.

Credits: The Sun
Deidre Sanders 

Comments