I helped my lover set up a business but he’s giving his son the profits


DEAR DEIDRE: I agreed to support my partner when he was not earning but now his business is making money, he’s letting his son have all the takings. I feel used.
We dated for two years before he moved in with me. He’s 47 and was up front about not being able to pay his way. I’m 38 and said OK as I have a good income and I supported him and his son starting a mobile car-repair business.

I recently asked my partner whether he could take any income from the company. He said his son has a mortgage and his need is greater. I feel he just expects me to keep him, and he should have spoken to me before making that decision.

DEIDRE SAYS: Of course he should, but he probably sees your comfortable income and his son’s need, and wants to be the generous dad.
Don’t sit on your resentment but talk to him calmly about this.
Say that you feel taken advantage of and such decisions need to be taken together.
Go over the company and domestic finances together and work out what’s fair.

Credits: Deidre Sanders
The Sun

Comments