"NFF Technical Committee is The Most Awkward I've Ever Seen"- Sunday Oliseh


Former
Super Eagles Head Coach, Sunday Oliseh has opened up on the things that led to the frosty relationship between him and the Nigerian Football Federation's Technical Committee. The former Reggiana of Italy midfielder made the revelation on his website on Sunday. On his issues with the NFF, Oliseh chronicled the events from the eve of his unveiling as the coach of the national team, a job he said he rejected twice before he was urged to take it up as a national call to service. He wrote "a day to the unveiling, the NFF’s Technical Committee called me for a meeting, headed by Dr Felix Ayansi of Enyimba. To our shocking surprise we were so aggressively received, attacked and Mr Paul Bassey almost blew his top when I refused their demand to participate in team selection of the super eagles.

I could see Bassey still held the grudge from the 90’s:
He categorically stated a dislike that my inclusion into the Super Eagles cost Friday Ekpo, a tribesman his place in the Super Eagles. I believe that’s a grievance he should have towards the then coach Clemence Westerhoff, no?
In all fairness Dr Felix Ayansi was so calm, matured and relatively positive with his management of affairs.
All through my almost 1 year in charge, there was no help received from this committee and all technical information we asked of via telephone, emails were all ignored. We never saw them.
This committee’s composition for a technical committee is the most awkward one I have ever seen, ever!
Being myself a member of the technical sector of the world’s football governing body,FIFA, I found it quite strange to see people whose knowledge of the game are limited to what they learnt as spectators and not from first-hand experience as ex-players of the super Eagles or graduates of football educations.
The 3 ex super Eagles players members of this group were ones who during our playing days were either the most hated egoistic trouble making team mate we ever had, or ones who were not leaders or regulars of the team.
Had it been with the likes of Edema Foludu for example, we could understand instead of colleagues who have problems reading or pronouncing Chelsea for example!
How they now have to charter the technical progression of a national team like Nigeria I don’t know.
I believe if you ever had any doubt as to regards how disjointed this group is, I believe their role in the now worldwide famous humiliation of Nigeria with the Coach Paul Le Guen saga, has put them to rest!"

On the poor Super Eagles players welfare, the former coach pointed out that "In my entire 23 years of involvement with the Super Eagles, never has the working conditions and player welfare been as bad as it was when I was in charge.
The team stood out like beggars!
For a team like the legendary Super Eagles, our players were not furnished with as little as bathroom slippers from NIKE. The training equipment had to be bought from local stores in Aba and Lagos.
Football shoes were not available and on the camp in South Africa during CHAN, I had to buy 2 football shoes for my players. Even the barest minimum like food was lacking.
Feeding was unsuitable to put it lightly and had to pay for the feeding of the team. Little did I know that not only will I not be reimbursed, it would be contested by the NFF and I would be criticized for it?
The Nigerian ambassador to South Africa was rightfully incensed as to why the NFF failed to notify him of the team’s arrival to South Africa and be left to fender in such a sorry state!
I had organized via my South African friends the world standard performance centre in Pretoria for the Super Eagles and the one the only thing the NFF was left to do was the accommodation and transportation, and those were the areas we saw hell!"

Comments